Hello everyone. I'm settling into my Senior year nicely. I thoroughly enjoy all but one of my classes. The odd one out is AP Statistics. But I've got friends with whom I can share our dislike of the class. The aura of negativity of this class is by far overshadowed by the sheer capacity of awesomeness that the other classes provide. A great way to wake up in the morning is with my spanish teacher, Senor Shelly. An energetic teacher who combines the methods of lecture and pure fun perfectly. He's also a great Scholars Bowl coach. Orchestra is great as well. We're playing some great music, the two most difficult pieces are the Concerto for Strings by Ginastera and La Muerte De Los Angeles by Golijov the second movement to the Last Round. My only complaint about our amazing conductor is the bias that has corrupted him like so many other musical program leaders. I am quite convinced a blind audition would have put me ahead of the person directly ahead of me but oh well. Again I have lots of friends with whom I can share complaints. Film Studies is a great class and my only regret is not having taken it earlier. It is a blast. Already we're filming our first short film and this weekend some of us are heading out to Olatha KS for a film competition. One of the by far best classes of all time is HL Biology with Mr. Weigand. What a great person. Though he speaks more politically incorrect words than others, we all accept that because it makes the class that much better. Just to give a better idea here are some examples of the awesome dialogue that he has shared in my class. "You see we need digestion and enzymes because you can't fit a hamburger through a cell wall." Upon failing to find the owner of a small female jacket that had been left in his room he gave it to my buddy stephen who, upon trying on the jacket recieved mr. Weigand's compliment "Sexy, thats what that is." I don't think I've ever laughed more constantly in any other class. He also is very gifted with a frisbee but unfortunately doesn't participate in our actual games. My European History teacher Gary Harden or GH is just plain crazy. He has a million stories and videos to share along with his great interpretations of the history he shares. Last and most definitely not least is Maack. I've known him for these past four years of high school better than any other faculty member. I've shared the highs and lows of ultimate and he has shaped and molded not only my ultimate skills but my character as a whole. And now I get to share literature with him as well in my HL World Lit. class. A subject about which he is just as passionate about as ultimate. Looking forward to a great year. As for college, I'm looking at Tulsa, St. Olaf, Carleton, and I think it was Vermont. Thinking its gonna end up Tulsa though, as i will be able to continue sharing the companionship of a couple of my best buds Stephen and Dan. Also by the way. I've discovered the secret of flight. Though I can only keep myself in the air for a few seconds I can cover quite a distance. You think I'm kidding but come watch some ultimate and you will find that once you've found a passion for something as powerful as I have for Ultimate, even gravity can't hold you down. This isn't me but here's a great video of some pro ultimate players and they are gooood. Observe what I mean about human flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq3pg0JcJSI
Great post, Erik. Thanks. I enjoyed hearing about your classes and what you are doing. I'll be sure and check out the video.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a fun year, Erik. I'm glad you shared it with us.
ReplyDeleteCool video, Erik. I still want to see you and Ember in the air at the same time going for the same frisbee :-). Love you!!!
ReplyDeleteAwesome post Erik! Great to hear what you are up to and want to see your hang time sometime
ReplyDeleteI hope you continue having a great year Erik. Ultimate sounds fantastic!
ReplyDelete