
By now you've all heard (and probably gotten to see) the new kid on the block...I talked to Sarah on the phone a couple days ago, and I'm really excited to see Olivia! This blog-post won't really compare to her, I can't compete with a baby! I love babies! And away we go.....
I arrived in Minnesota at the end of August. Everything was green, the weather was hot, and people were always outside, in fact- it looked just like every photo in the "Visit Minneapolis" magazine I ordered....well...things have changed.
There wasn't much of a fall season, mostly it went from t-shirt weather to coat weather in one weekend. Luckily, I've been winter-phobic since I got here and have been purchasing sweaters and blankets at the thrift stores at every opportunity.
I am three months into my year-long internship (aka Vicarage) at Redeemer Lutheran Church in Minneapolis, MN. Its about a 15 minute walk into downtown. A little about the place: Its about 1/3 African American, 1/3 Caucasian, and 1/3 (Native American, Asian, Latino, African Immigrants, or Other)...which means its probably not like any Lutheran Church you've ever seen before. I know it was pretty new for me! We don't use any of the three hymnals I actually know...I have to say the prayers of the people extemporaneously, theres plenty of clapping and "amen!"s, and we aren't too rigid about the service (one Sunday we accidentally skipped right over the Lord's Prayer...woops!)
Let me just say this: Minnesota Lutherans are odd. For starters, there are more Lutherans in the Minneapolis Area Synod (District...St. Paul is its own as well!) than there are in all of Kansas and Missouri combined! My church is small compared to some of them. We worship about 60-100 on a Sunday, some of them have membership in the thousands. So, its sort of a bubble here. Its good to experience, but things just are different in other parts of the country. For example, my area of town is being praised for having ecumenical (between churches) relationship with our Episcopal, Methodist, and Presbyterian neighbors...which is something that has happened in Austin for YEARS. Also the church just got a new roof...my apartment is in the white building across the street (I have a futon and a spare room for when you come to visit!)

So far this year, I'm leading two weekly Bible Studies, leading the confirmation class once in a while, preaching about once a month, getting involved in what's happening in the neighborhood community, and helping with administrative and organizational sorts of tasks (I set up a small computer lab in the library and I'm working on a website overhaul). So things are busy and good. But enough about church.
This Thanksgiving my pastor-friend Tim from Kansas City asked if I wanted to meet up in Des Moines, Iowa since it is about halfway between the Twin Cities and his place. YES. So we did, without much of a plan, I searched for a truck-stop for us to eat at but none had open restaurants. So...we drove around for a while and found a Chinese Buffet located in the otherwise closed mall. The buffet even had turkey (it was not fantastic).

So now I'm back in Minneapolis, ready to start waiting in Advent! I have nine more months before I will move on to the next place (wherever that might be)...some of you know how long that is ;) Until then, please know that I think of all of you often, and hope you know that I am deeply thankful for the blessing which you are in my life. I hope your holiday was as enjoyable as mine!
Until next time,
Go in peace, serve the Lord!
Thanks Be to God!
Amen!
I love your story telling abilities! :) And all of your adventures sound fun. I am glad to hear there is some variety in the race of Lutherans.
ReplyDeleteThanks for being our guest blogger. I love to hear where everyone is and what they are doing.
ReplyDeleteHave a Merry Christmas and come be our guest again!
Hey Caleb!!! You do tell stories all too fantastically. One day, you might just have to write a book. Sounds like work keeps you super busy, but lots of things are developing at the same time and I'm sure they love having you there. It's probably good that you live just across the street from the church because it looks like you are freezing up there ;) Take care and thanks for bloggin with us!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the entry, Caleb. It was great. I want to know if the blue fuzzy kleenex box (I can never remember its proper name) got to enjoy the Turkey Dinner at the Chinese place. Hope all continues to go well with your internship. Remember you are always welcome at the COS for the summers!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing with us Caleb! It is always good to here what you are doing. Take care and have a good holiday season!
ReplyDeletePam