This blog has been created by and for the Kinast Family. As we begin to grow and branch out, we thought it might be fun to create a place where we could learn and share about one another. In this blog, you will hear stories about funny situations we have been in, current status on family, things that have helped us to grow as people and other positive impacts that we have each experienced in our lives. So, sit back, take a few moments to relax, and learn about those you love who will always love and support you in your life...

2.16.2011

A Birthday to Remember!

Hello everyone! I'm in UIL season with the orchestra. I have 3 more rehearsals until our Pre-UIL Clinic and 7 more rehearsals until the UIL Concert and Sightreading Contest. I believe all of you have experience from which to relate (band members, parents of band/orchestra members, grandparents of band/orchestra members). Now triple the pressure and stress and remember everything is bigger in Texas :-). My emotions are currently in a constant flux. We've done the work, we're going to be fine... I'm going to only have two violins in my second violin section if they don't learn their parts.... We can do this.... We haven't spent enought time sightreading.... etc. You get the idea. Of course my own high expectations of myself and my students is putting the most pressure on me. Last year we were able to bring home a sightreading plaque. We were so close to bringing home the sweepstakes trophy (straight Is). That is our goal this year, and I truly think we can do it. I just have to set the students up to do it. They are capable, it just all falls back on me :-). Enough of that.

The title of the post is A Birthday to Remember because I have to tell you about the amazing birthday James put together for me. Since my birthday was on a Monday, James decided to make it a weekend full of fun. I'll try not to make the post too long :-). First, he told me I needed to dress up for a fancy dinner. So, Friday after school I put on dress pants and a nice sweater (that's as nice as I get when it's below freezing) and we went to Andiamo, an Italian restaurant in Austin. He ordered the 5-course Chef's Special for each of us, and a flight of wine which meant we had a different wine with each course. I cannot even begin to describe the meal. It was fantastic. I've never eaten like that before and I've never tasted anything like it. Each course was the perfect combination of flavors, and when it came time for the fourth course and my stomach was beyond full, I somehow found it easy to eat the last two courses because they tasted SO good. It took us two and a half hours to complete the meal as each course was created as we finished the one before. There is no set menu. The chef just decides on the spot what he will make. If you want more details about each course, I'd be happy to tell you all about them!

We finished just as the restaurant was closing and made it to a 10:15 pm showing of No Strings Attached at the Alamo Draft House, an Austin original movie theatre. I'd need to watch it again to give an objective review, but it was certainly entertaining following such a great meal.

Saturday we started the birthday festivities with lunch at a little grocery store in Hyde Park (historical neighborhood in Austin full of beautiful homes and other gems from Austin's past). The grocery opened in 1902 and has remained open every year since. They serve tasty fresh sandwiches of which we partook.

We then went to Elisabet Ney's home and art studio, also in Hyde Park. It is a free city museum that is definitely worth your time when you get a chance to visit us down here in Austin! There is even a room in the tower with a secret entrance to the roof through a bookcase in the wall.

Next we went to a local winery where we were able to tast eight of their wines while munching on a plate of cheese and crackers. We've been enjoying coupons from websites like Living Social, Groupon, and Restaurant.com. The coupon for this wine tasting included two bottles of wine, our choice, and personalized labels (picture below).




Last but not least, we went to the UT basketball game against Texas Tech. On our way there we stopped for tacos at one of my favorite taco restaurants. If you haven't been following men's basketball this year, Texas is doing pretty well. Kansas is up there too, so I couldn't be happier :-). All in all, my birthday quickly became the most eventful I think I've ever had and most likely will ever have. I had to share so that I could brag on James a little bit and give you all an idea of just how wonderful he is. I could not feel more lucky than I do to know that God created a path to Texas for me so that I could find him :-). (Who would have ever thought I'd be in Texas....).

We found this view (picture below) of Austin's capital building on UT's campus with one of the most recognizable buildings in our downtown on the left (the Frost Bank building) and our newest addition to the skyline on the right (the Austonian). Sometimes it is hard to be so far away from you all. Know that your cards and gifts warm my heart, that I miss you always, and that I cherish the days I have with you. Looking forward to seeing most of you in March!

All my love,
Hannah

4 comments:

  1. Hannah, What a wonderful celebration James' had for you! He seems like a very thoughtful person. The food reminded me of Mary. She will be writing I'm sure with a wish for more details. Your orchestra will do a wonderful job! You expect the students to give you their very best and that is all you can ask for. Relax and enjoy them!
    Love, Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sounds like quite a time. Maybe he can be in charge of social activities for the family group. I'm looking forward to getting to know him better. Good luck at contest. They usually come through in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exciting week-end! Good luck at contest. Let us know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Sounds amazing, Hannah - hope that contest goes as smoothly as you want!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.