This blog has been created by and for the Kinast Family. As we begin to grow and branch out, we thought it might be fun to create a place where we could learn and share about one another. In this blog, you will hear stories about funny situations we have been in, current status on family, things that have helped us to grow as people and other positive impacts that we have each experienced in our lives. So, sit back, take a few moments to relax, and learn about those you love who will always love and support you in your life...

8.27.2013

Missouri Life

Greetings from Missouri!

Life here hasn't been too bad—we're mostly moved into the house and have settled into a routine. We live on the far north side of Columbia. That means away from all the college students, but unfortunately away from all the social-y stuff as well. Columbia's a nice town though, and if we do go out, there's lots of exploring to get done (it's ~110,000 people). We have a couple sets of friends in the area as well, including one with kittens, so we tend to end up all over.


Four of us are living together (myself, Andrew R McHugh, Andrew Robertson, and Sam), two of whom I've lived with before so there's not a lot of adjusting to be done on that front. The house is nothing special, a four bed, three bath duplex that we keep at 77F when we do turn on the A/C (which is usually just when we have guests).
View of the living room
(Sam brews beer. That's all that stuff by the door)
A mostly clean view of my room. McHugh's is the messy one
you can see through my door.
I've been keeping a fairly normal schedule recently, commuting 5 days a week to school for my job (it's about ~45m to Fulton, but they don't expect me there right at 8 so it's been easy enough). So far I've mostly been managing login problems and other basic IT work for students, but I've spent a lot of my down time designing advising toolkits so academic advisors and alumni advisors will know what to do with the data coming out of students' e-portfolios. I don't see my supervisor very often (I think it's been a week), and I have a lot of freedom because the non-techy faculty basically assume I'm working magic. I have an "office" though!
My "desk art." It's a paper model I made of the USS Voyager,
from the TV Series Star Trek: Voyager. The quotes are from
Captain Janeway, my favorite character, on how to lead
My office at least has a good view. The silver
board to the right of my desk is my other personal
touch. It was one of my birthday gifts last year
and has a diagram of Derek Parfit's
"The Practical Problem and its Solutions,"
which I use almost daily.
I say "office," because two afternoons a week, it's former resident shows up and shares it with me (because he doesn't like sharing his current office? I'm not entirely sure why he's there). Then of course there's all the HR materials that people are always coming in and getting, plus the two printers student workers are always using...really I just have a space and the room is a common area.*

*Granted, it's still all a bit frustrating because one of the complaints about the Sustainability Fellow campaign (My position is equivalent but for the e-portfolios) was that we hadn't specified where such a person would be housed. So we did some research and learned that that was the job of the Space Allocation Committee—except, apparently, when it's not. My "office" was found and set up for me in less than two days. When the school actually wants something, the school gets it. They just didn't want the Sustainability Fellow.

I don't think much else is happening here really worth noting (I'm finishing books, riding my bike, etc). Hope everyone else is doing well!

7 comments:

  1. I love the map! I love the shots of your house. And if you need a kitten or two so people hang out at your place, we can hook you up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    Thanks for the update and pictures. Sounds like life is good.
    Love, Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Voyager...my favorite Star Trek series. :) Keep enjoying your days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat "Desk art" and even better that you made it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, is that beer I see brewing in your living room? What kind and is it yours or a roommates? I believe that you could totally get in to the science of it all, but am guessing it's not yours. Love seeing the space and hearing what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. James approves of the Star Trek model :-). Thanks for sharing all of the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update. You can ignore all my questions in your upcoming letter. I think the answers are here:)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.