This blog has been created by and for the Kinast Family. As we begin to grow and branch out, we thought it might be fun to create a place where we could learn and share about one another. In this blog, you will hear stories about funny situations we have been in, current status on family, things that have helped us to grow as people and other positive impacts that we have each experienced in our lives. So, sit back, take a few moments to relax, and learn about those you love who will always love and support you in your life...

7.12.2016

Updates

Hello Everyone,

I'm a little bit late but it has worked out well since I now have interesting new material to show you than I would have had this blog been on time. :) But I'll get to that in a minute. First a quick update as to what's been going on in mine and my dog's life. For once - we actually have been up to some things.

First, I started volunteering at the 4-H extension office. This is my first time really successfully volunteering as normally it fills me with anxiety. The goal is for this to hopefully give me the confidence to one day have a job. The 4-H office is the perfect place for me to go because I'm so comfortable there. I spent ten years in 4-H and the atmosphere is still the same (I'm convinced it will never change and that is very comforting). The 4-H agent is new and I really, really like her. In fact, I wish she would have been around when I was in 4-H. She's much more involved than any we had when I was active. She's very understanding about my anxiety and PTSD and more than welcoming to Gus. Right now I'm helping prepare for the 4-H fair but this fall it sounds like I will be helping with their 4-H school program which I'm very excited about. I've only gone a couple of times but I'm enjoying it and not filled with anxiety at the thought of going which is what I need.

Second, Gus and I got a chance to go to a Nosework seminar. Benny and I attempted nosework awhile back but he didn't take to it mostly because of his anxiety. Nosework is an activity where the dog's are asked to find treats in boxes and then later certain scents. Eventually, they will search entire rooms or vehicles. I'll try and attach a video of Gus's first or second attempt at hunting. He was enjoying himself but not really interested in the hunting aspect so much. He's funny to watch but know what you are seeing is in no way, shape or form what is supposed to be happening.

Another newsworthy item is that my Disney World trip is cancelled sadly. The woman who I am really comfortable with is not able to go and I did not want to go without her. However, The National Eating Disorder Awareness conference is in Chicago this year at the end of September/beginning of October and I think I am going to be attending that instead. I will also have a chance to see one of my best friend's Katie who I have never had the chance to meet in person. So I'm fine with the substitute of trips. Andrew - if you and Katie aren't busy I'd love to see you guys too!

Of course the 4th of July happened and I'll share some pics I took during the day at the end of the post. Benny got to attend breakfast and he was a very happy dog to be there. He was drugged however as he now has doggy Xanax for occasions like this (and for extra effect we rub lavender essential oil on his back to increase his relaxation). Benny was happy to see everyone but especially grandma and was especially happy that he didn't have to share her with any great grandchildren. Benny is not good at sharing with cute human children that outshine him (although rightfully so). Gus attended the parade and the rest of the festivities although I don't think Grandma's carpet thanked me for that. I was holding baby Emily and Gus came to tell me he had to go potty. Well, I was in a baby haze and ignored him and poor Gus just couldn't hold it and pottied in the purple bedroom. Luckily, Adelynn caught him and was able to tell me so I could clean it up. And then while I was cleaning that up he managed to throw-up outside the kitchen. Thanks to Sarah and Grandma for that help as I wasn't even done cleaning up the first mess! As Cassi has rightfully stated dogs truly are like toddlers.

Last, my bonus item. The Ulster project (kids from Northern Ireland visit and are paired with teens from Hutchinson) visited Reins of Hope when I was riding this Monday. Two boys (ages 15) both Irish were paired to walk with me and my horse Nitro. Let's just say they were very much 15 year old boys and their sense of humor reflected it. The News also visited and I appeared on the front page of the paper today riding Nitro with the two teens walking beside me. Nitro is by far my favorite horse I have ridden. I used to be scared of him because he nips his walkers (which I did very graciously inform the Irish boys of) but he just hates being led. Another favorite activity of his is to push his walkers into the wall. Which I also informed the boys of. If it was later in the morning I might not have. Anyways, when you are his rider he is great and listens pretty well but what I love most about him is that he gives snuggles and kisses when you talk to him after you ride. I love that he nuzzles me and wants attention. I've gone from being scared of him to absolutely adoring his feisty and loving personality.  

And now for some pictures:

Gus at nosework:



Adelynn waves at the 4th of July Parade
Ava, Adelynn and Olivia watch the parade - they made out with a ton of candy 

Emily in her parade attire (I only got a back shot of Oliver unfortunately)

Gus wishing everyone a Happy 4th of July



Riding Nitro while the Irish teens walk along side (picture by Hutchinson News)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the info. You look very professional on Nitro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your activities sound like fun! Keep them up. The pictures are great also.
    Love, Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I realize this is nearly a month late now, but definitely let us know which days you're in town and we'll get together for dinner or something!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.