This blog has been created by and for the Kinast Family. As we begin to grow and branch out, we thought it might be fun to create a place where we could learn and share about one another. In this blog, you will hear stories about funny situations we have been in, current status on family, things that have helped us to grow as people and other positive impacts that we have each experienced in our lives. So, sit back, take a few moments to relax, and learn about those you love who will always love and support you in your life...

6.06.2011

Summertime!

Hello all and sorry for the delay in my post. Today is my first day of summer!!! Overall, my second year of teaching was pretty successful and I'm looking forward to meeting my goal of three years next year. After reading all the research about new teachers while I was in the master's program at UT, I decided that it wasn't really fair to anyone, including myself, to make a decision regarding my teaching career until I had taught for three years. I feel lucky to still have my job as many of my friends (fellow music teachers) have lost theirs or have been cut from full time to part time.

I had a little taste of summer last weekend when my family (sans Andy) came to Austin for a visit. We enjoyed playing the board game Kill Doctor Lucky as we escaped Austin's 100 degree weather (summer heat sure came fast this year). We were also fortunate enough to make it to Franklin BBQ, one of James' and my favorite places to eat. They open at 11:00 am and usually run out of food within an hour or two. We're talking 700lbs of meat. People start lining up before 10:00 am to make sure they get some! We went to the early church service so that we could go stake out a spot in the line. We each ordered a sandwich and Franklin (his last name) put the meat for six sandwiches on a piece of butcher paper on a tray and gave us the bread and slaw to put on top. We had a tray full of pulled pork, chopped brisket, and sausage. We then also got a few slices of brisket and turkey. Yum!!! In the pictures Samuel is showing you his favorite of the three BBQ sauces (my favorite is the espresso sauce on the right) and Erik is enjoying his pulled pork sandwich. The Franklins (he and his wife) started serving their BBQ in a small trailer about a mile from James' apartment, so we would walk over on the weekends. They just recently moved into a little restaurant closer to downtown Austin. We would love to share it with anyone that is interested in good BBQ!

As for the coming summer, I have quite a bit planned so far. I will be playing in the UT summer band this week, teaching at the UT Summer Music Camp next week, traveling back to KS the following week, then to Minnesota, and back to Austin for a little while. I have a conference for Orchestra Directors at the end of July and then James and I will fly to NYC to visit Mary and Kurtis. Can't wait to see everyone and spend time with all of you! Somewhere in there I have to do a little wedding planning too. James and I just went to meet with our florist on Saturday and we think we have the flowers mostly figured out. Whew!

May everyone have a safe, healthy, and relaxing summer full of friends, family, and a few adventures.

Love,
Hannah

4 comments:

  1. Hannah,
    I'm glad your year went well and that you have another year to teach. It is always exciting and different each year. I liked the pictures.
    Love, Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing year 2. Enjoy the summer. We are looking forward to seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're able to have a lot of fun while accomplishing so much! That seems like the way to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Hannah! It sounds like you are in a thought filled process as you get ready for your second wonderful summer off and prepare for your third year teaching. Can't wait to see you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.