This blog has been created by and for the Kinast Family. As we begin to grow and branch out, we thought it might be fun to create a place where we could learn and share about one another. In this blog, you will hear stories about funny situations we have been in, current status on family, things that have helped us to grow as people and other positive impacts that we have each experienced in our lives. So, sit back, take a few moments to relax, and learn about those you love who will always love and support you in your life...

6.06.2015

Work or Play?

I wanted to give everyone a taste of what I do on a regular basis, so here are some images from a recent show I developed about Superheroes.

For a discussion of Wonder Woman and how she bends light, a laser shining through a 2L bottle and into a falling stream of water. Instead of continuing through the stream, the laser reflects off of the edges and remains trapped in it. I'm holding my hand in the stream, where you can see the dot from the laser pointer. The second photograph highlights that even better.


This detail shows the laser beam reflecting off the stream right after it exits the hole. You can see the second reflection as a vertical green line shortly before the water starts to fall.

Relatedly, here is my hand in a Rochester Invisibility Cloak. It's a four lens setup that bends light (hence the related portion) around objects so that you can see the background behind the object. You can see the soft horizon across the upper part of the lens.

 And the last one in our repertoire is pyrex lab equipment in vegetable oil. In the animation below I'm dipping a test tube into the oil. Because the oil bends the light at the same angle as the pyrex lab equipment the pyrex appears to...disappear when dipped into the vegetable oil.

My final stop in our virtual tour is the fire piston. It's a tube setup that can ignite kindling when the air inside is compressed quickly.  


2 comments:

  1. This is interesting, Chris!
    Love, Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lot of play to me! But then, if you can't have fun doing whatever it is you have found in life then, really what's the point?! I know I have as much fun as I can every day! Hope your summer is full of it too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.