This blog has been created by and for the Kinast Family. As we begin to grow and branch out, we thought it might be fun to create a place where we could learn and share about one another. In this blog, you will hear stories about funny situations we have been in, current status on family, things that have helped us to grow as people and other positive impacts that we have each experienced in our lives. So, sit back, take a few moments to relax, and learn about those you love who will always love and support you in your life...

3.06.2024

Closure...sort of

Lots of loss in the past year and so I remain in processing mode.  Some days it goes better than others...today isn't a great day...but it is time for this blog to wrap up.  It's closure...sort of...but not on the Kinast family that read this.  It is merely a closure on this chapter of our family's story.  The book is still being written.

 

So, it is time to close the page on this blog with a final remembrance of the Grandparents who influenced us so heavily.  They were the reason for the blog so they could stay connect to us as we spread out all over the country.  I know how much both of them enjoyed this.  I have to admit I wasn't always as good at keeping up on my blog posts...life seemed to get in the way.  But I never missed an opportunity to hang out with either of them if it was within my power.  I was blessed to tell them my stories in real time. And I know they were blessed to hear each of your stories from a far.


Mom suggested that I included some Facebook posts I made about Grandma and Grandpa K.  I only found the one I did about Grandpa and one that I did a month after the fact.  


Here's the one about Grandpa.

Yesterday, I lost a giant of a man in my life. I was named after him. My Grandpa, Charles Kinast returned to his maker last night, surrounded by his wife and daughters. I was honored to be on hand helping coordinate his medication management, offer council to my Mom, aunts and Grandma as Grandpa began to slip and finally, holding his hand as he was on his journey home. I love all of my family (and close friends are family to me) fiercely. It was a trait that my Grandpa instilled in his daughters and one his daughters instilled in me. Although it's a quote from Walt Disney, I believe more passionately than ever that "The Most Important Thing is Family". 
 
But with that passion comes profound heartache. After Grandpa was taken to the funeral home, I remarked how empty the house felt, like all of the air was gone. It is that feeling and that night that I will feel forever. Charles was a great man. He was kind, passionate, stubborn, faithful, deeply caring, a veteran who taught me skills that I still use. They were skills that helped me build Stage 9 into what it was, that helped me get through some of my hardest struggles. But the skill I'm most proud of is how he showed us to love and to make family the most important thing.
 
Of course, part of this family was his creator. I'm comforted by the fact that he's in heaven creating a place for all of us. And while it might be tomorrow or 54 years from now for us to join him, it will be a flash of an eye for him. He'll be ready to present that sparkle in his eye and the cute laugh he had in a life that is free from earthly bounds. And it will be a joy to experience with him.
In the meantime, Grandpa has left a hole. But an inspiring one. My love now gets to spend more time on other family. I'm so lucky for all of them to be in my life. Especially my Grandma, parents, aunts, siblings, cousins, nieces, nephew and Nate.

 
Here's the post about Grandma
 
It's been a month of not calling you, not visiting you, not hearing your warmth and your love.
As I have decorated for Christmas, your favorite (something we shared deeply in common), some of your precious Christmas has made its way to our house to be cherished. But somehow, it's not the same without you. Grief is a funny thing...it comes in waves. And tonight, it breaks the beach in my tears. I'll be fine...but...
 
And from past experience, the but never goes away...living with it just gets more normal.
I'll see you in Christmas always. Just so sad to not see the joy on your face this year.
 
 
 
 
 
I also felt it was important to have Grandma and Grandpa's obituaries included.  Because as Grandpa in genealogist mode would say, these are the documents that live on.

Here is Grandma's

Imogene Kinast, 89, died October 24, 2023, at Hospice House, Hutchinson.  She was born September 1, 1934, in Ellsworth, to William C. and Mathilda (Stratmann) Janssen.

Imogene graduated from Lorraine High School, and attended Kansas State University.  She retired as a full-time administrative assistant at Hutchinson Community College in 1997.  Imogene later worked for the Reno County District Court part-time, retiring in 2007.  She liked the simple things in life like sewing, gardening, and volunteering at the Hutchinson Zoo. Imogene was a lifelong Lutheran, and currently a member of Our Redeemer Lutheran Church.

On June 4, 1954, she married Charles R. Kinast, in Holyrood, KS.  He died April 2, 2020, after they shared almost 66 years of marriage.

Imogene is survived by:  daughters, Vicki Shook (Timothy) of Wichita, Pamela Johnston (Randolph), and Laurie Givan (Tim), all of Hutchinson; 10 grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.

She was preceded in death by:  her parents; a sister, Agnes Scott; and a brother, Donald Janssen.

Memorial service will be 2:00 p.m. Friday, November 3, 2023, at Elliott Chapel, with Pastor Henry Blickhahn officiating.  Private family burial will take place prior to the service in Fairlawn Burial Park, Hutchinson.  Friends may sign her book from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday at Elliott Mortuary.

Imogene loved the deer at the Hutchinson Zoo.  Therefore, in lieu of flowers, memorials are suggested to Hutchinson Friends of the Zoo (to benefit the deer habitat), in care of Elliott Mortuary, 1219 N. Main, Hutchinson, KS  67501.

Here is Grandpa's

Charles R. Kinast, 88, of Hutchinson, died April 2, 2020, at his home. He was born March 3, 1932, in Hutchinson, to Albert and Louise (Guhl) Kinast.

Charles graduated from Haven High School, Kansas State University with his bachelor’s degree, and Wichita State with his master’s. He worked at PMS Foods Inc., until he retired in 1997, and part-time at Legacy Foods, until 2007. Charles served in the U.S. Army during the Korean conflict and belonged to the American Legion Lysle Rishel Post 68. He was also a member of Friends of the Public Library. Charles was a member of Our Redeemer Lutheran Church, Hutchinson.

On June 4, 1954, he married Imogene Janssen, in Holyrood, KS. They shared 65 years together.

Charles is survived by: wife, Imogene Kinast, Hutchinson; daughters, Vicki (Timothy) Shook, Wichita, Pam (Randy) Johnston, and Laurie (Tim) Givan, both of Hutchinson; ten grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren; brother, Phillip Kinast, Pretty Prairie; and sister, Marilyn Hurst, Sylvia.

He was preceded in death by his parents, and a sister, Virginia Woertz.

A private burial will take place at Fairlawn Burial Park, followed by a private funeral service at Elliott Mortuary.

Friends may sign the book from 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday at the funeral home.

Memorials are suggested to Lutheran Hour Ministries, Hutchinson Public Library, or the donor’s choice, in care of Elliott Mortuary, 1219 N. Main, Hutchinson, KS 67501.


Words couldn't adequately describe the loss I feel.  Words also can't adequately express the joy I have for having had them in my life for so long.  That is a rare gift.  May all of us cherish it as we grow and write the next chapter.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.